Saturday, March 20, 2010

The New Place I Call Home

Well, for those who haven't heard, I have recently moved to Midland, Michigan, for another sports internship. By the grace of God, I have been hired by the Great Lakes Loons to be their Media Relations and Communications Intern (time to update the resume). The Great Lakes Loons are the Los Angeles Dodgers Low-A Minor League Baseball team.


All 30 big league teams have a farm system. The different levels are listed here:

Major Leagues
Triple-A Minor Leagues (like the Memphis Redbirds)
Double-A Minor Leagues
Single-A (Advanced) Minor Leagues
Single-A (Low) Minor Leagues (like the Great Lakes Loons)

The Major League draft is in the middle of summer and in the middle of the baseball season. Those drafted are the immediately thrown into a short season league, listed below.

Single-A (Short Season) Minor Leagues
Rookie (Advanced) Minor Leagues
Rookie (Low) Minor Leagues

Then there are even independent leagues, that use players not currently signed with any major league baseball organization. So all in all, there is a lot of baseball going on out there.

So yea, hopefully I can do a better job at updating this season. We'll see. More from Michigan ahead.

1 comment:

Rachel and Cameron said...

Wassel- congratulations on the job!! Sounds fun. Hope it's not too cold up there! Miss you!