Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Can't Help Falling In Love...with Graceland

So no one ever told me Elvis had such a cool pad. I had to go there myself to find out. Thanks to Wes's camera I can provide to you a photo tour of Graceland. The highlights at least. Let's go!


Right as you walk inside, a very white, very clean living room is on your right. Check out the stain-glass peacock door frames. Awesome. At the bottom right is an all-white couch probably about 25 feet long. I will have one of these. Great for entertaining many guests.


Tucked away is this billiard room. A small room used for the sole purpose of playing pool over a long cigar. Look at the walls, it's folded-over fabric.


A picture of Elvis and the RCA dog 'Nipper'. Two of my dad's favorite things. My dad was such an Elvis fan, I was going to be named 'Presley' if I was a girl. Alex will do, but I'm not sure why 'Elvis' wasn't considered.

The Jungle Room. Though it is not my favorite, I had to include it. And while I approve of most all of Elvis' design decisions in the house, this room is no good. Everyone always talks about it though.


Yes, that is Elvis scuba-diving and holding a knife. This is a cropped picture of one of Elvis's movie posters. Which one? I don't know. I leave that for Mr. Renfro to say.


Here is another Elvis tidbit that I did not know. Elvis was so cool that he had his own personal motto: Taking Care of Business. Or 'TCB'. The TCB logo above, Elvis put on everything, including the tail of his personal jet. Ben was so overcome with TCBness, he bought a static-cling TCB emblem to grace (unavoidable pun) the back window of his VW. Very cool.


This yellow and blue room came to be all of our favorites. This is the TCB Room. Of course. The stairway down to this room was completely mirrored. The ceilings in the room were mirrored. There were TVs on and a little porcelain monkey.


There is a car museum at Graceland and of course the pink Cadi was there. As well as his collection of go-carts / golf carts.


Here is another movie poster taken out of context. Very strange feel to this one. I like it.


And finally, it's all of us on the steps of Graceland! Wes, Ben and me! Wes is ruining the picture.

So those are the highlights of Graceland. If just one room in my future house can have any of the coolness that oozes from Graceland, I'll consider myself very lucky. I hope you enjoyed.

Next Week: I'll talk about tarp or I will take you sight-seeing again.

3 comments:

Pete said...

tarp - boring.
More sightseeing please!

Anonymous said...

Hi Alex - It's Mom and I love you. Your Dad was with RCA during Elvis's years and he was the Director of Artist and Press Relations at RCA the day Elvis died. He said it was quite a busy day and month to follow. I love the photos and your commentary. I have never been to Graceland, but your Dad made a few trips. Love you, Mom

Anonymous said...

So I think I said something along the lines of aww that peach shirt. I really miss that peach shirt. And you told me to talk about your Sperry's...which are great too, but mine are still so much better. Yours don't even look like mine. I'm going to need to see a close-up. Ok, bye.

-C