Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Sports and Corndogs

This is recorded as my 5th post because I saved my sub-par Oscar picks in the 4-spot. Slumdog took 9 Oscars! For those interested I gave my reactions to the Oscars in that 4th post as well.

Sports: Though I'm working in baseball, I have yet to experience it in Memphis. Instead I have been given free tickets to several different sporting events in the Memphis area. First it was three Grizzlies games in three weeks. We saw Lebron James with the Cavaliers in my first NBA game ever. We later saw the Pistons and the Nuggets. The Grizzlies lost all three games...contributing to why Memphis ranks 2nd on Forbes' latest 'Most Miserable Cities' List. See here. Don't worry mom.

Here are most of the interns at a Grizzlies game in one of the lower-level suites.

Next we went to the Mud-Pond to see the beloved Mississippi RiverKings play. The RKs used to be a Memphis franchise, but crossed the state-line not very long ago. We left before it was over. Here is the RK logo.
Just last week, we were given tickets to the Regions Morgan Keegan Tennis Championship hosted by the Racquet Club of Memphis. We were able to get tickets in exchange for working the event. The Redbirds had a booth set-up in the food lobby or 'village' if you will. On various nights, two interns would work the booth. We were just there to get information to the people and hype the season.


The tickets Ben and I got were for the Wednesday night session. We saw Canas play Del Potro. Above is Canas pleading with the chair official.

Del Potro sits between games. The seats we had were very close.

Del Potro won, but there was no bad blood. Both Canas and Del Potro are from Argentina. Forgive the blurry pick. Sports are hard to capture indoors without an automatic focus.


Believe it or not, the following match was a WTA event between top-seeded Wozniacki and Elena Dokic. We were able to move down and get right behind the players. Above is Wozniacki and her coach talking between games.

Here I am behind Dokic...who lost. In this photo you can kind of see the seating structure on the other side. There is an aisle way and then three 'boxes' on either side. The Redbirds had a designated box and that is where we sat.

Andy Roddick wound up winning the tournament on Sunday defeating Stepanek in two close sets. However the big event of the tennis event was the food. Southern BBQ chain Corky's catered the event, but right outside was this yellow corndog stand. For the first time since middle school maybe, I ate a corndog. A foot long. Twice. I must say the corndog is a treat and if you haven't in a while, it may be time to revisit its goodness.

When I was working the booth I was able to get Del Potro's autograph. The corndog still trumps that though.

So there you have it. With all of these free sports, it won't surprise you when I tell you I have already turned down tix for the Memphis' annual curling and polo tournaments.

Thanks: A special thanks goes out to Aunt Janet and Uncle Ralph who sent Junior Mints and Hot Tamales to me last week. I'm still working on them. A great snack at work. Likewise, my mother also was the first to send girl scout cookies.

Teaser: More on my job next week, I think. And maybe some pictures of me. Maybe.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

ALEX! I seriously got an email about that tennis match at work like a month ago. (you know because I work for Regions) We had free tickets being given out! I could've come to see you and tennis. Well, we still have to have that Oscar conversation. Oh and my package is almost on its way to you!!

-C

Anonymous said...

Hi son,
I'm jealous of you getting to go to all of these events (free) even though you did have to work. I'm not sure about a "yellow" corn dog? I thought there was only a "corn dog". Memphis BBQ would have been my choice. Love you, Mom

Anonymous said...

You know what, we went to an NBA game at Vanderbilt one time and the player we were going to see didn't dress out that night, but he did sit on the bench. It was Dave something I think.

Love
Mom