{Be sure to note my Academy Award predictions located below this post}
This Is Memphis:
This one here I think might make a nice banner one day for the blog. The Memphis skyline perhaps with some words in the top-right.
I see this sign everyday as I travel to work, and boy is it a relief. Returning to the mother-state is such a refreshing feeling, unfortunately I stop my travels in Memphis.
That's right friends. An AmVets in Memphis. Doesn't that just make you super excited. Hurry. Well...it's not as good as the old Knoxville original, but it's nice to see.
Ah yes...one of the seven wonders of the world. The great pyramid. A former basketball arena and a future Bass Pro Shops. I kid you not.
And finally the shocker of them all. A large statue of liberty begging America back to Christ, posted up right in front of this huge church. Strange.
More About My Job: The season doesn't start until April 9th, so in the meantime we have been doing preliminary work. The first task we did was write play bios for the media guide. Every sports team on every level has some kind of media guide which is provided by the organization and given to members of the press during ballgames. The broadcasters and news writers use the media guides to get quick information about the players, who they probably know very little about. Ben and I were given 17 players each and asked to find ten unique stats about their 2008 season. We were given privileged access to Minor League Baseball's stat database in order to create our bios. Bio info basically looked like this...
Chris Perez - Right-Handed Pitcher
- Played 26 games for Memphis with a 3.20 ERA (9ERx25.1IP) before being called up to St. Louis to play 41 games for a 3.46 ERA (16x41.2).
- Struck out one in his major league debut, allowing no hits in one inning pitched on 5/16 against Tampa Bay.
- Had a career-high 67.0 innings pitched in '08 (41.2 in STL / 25.1 in MEM).
- Had the third most saves (6) in the Pacific Coast League for the month of April.
Mistakes & Questions: In case you wrote down my apartment address before now, it is probably wrong. I live on 2000 North Avalon Ave. NOT 200 North Avalon. Sender be warned.
Also I have been asked, outside of my blog, if I will be traveling with the team for away games. The answer is no, we will work in the office on those days and publish the game stories from Memphis.

7 comments:
I'm very much enjoying the pictures. You should keep adding them to the posts. I think the job sounds really exciting; I'm glad you're learning so much. You're definitely on your way to working for the Cardinals one day! ;) (which is awesome)
I'm pretty disappointed with some of your Oscar picks though. We will have to have a discussion about this.
Miss you!
-C
very interesting oscar read, however i think 'slumdog dog' will win best picture. we'll have to wait and see. the winner receives extra rolls at the next norfleet gathering :)
'slumdog millionaire' i mean...i shouldn't blog when sleepy.
Well, I'm quite impressed with your extensive take on the Oscars! I'm also impressed with the baseball code. Gracie is sitting here bitting her back paw nails. I didn't know cats did that!
Love you
Mom 2/18/09
Did you take the picture of the pyramid? That's a great shot!
Mom
I love the Oscar rundown. I was hoping to have another Oscar's Oscars party complete with calzones and very mediocre buffalo chicken tenders, but I had a midterm in Larsen's class yesterday. You'd think my cinema studies prof wouldn't schedule a huge exam the day after the Academy Awards.
I like the pics. Heller would be proud.
I got a craving for chips and salsa today when I called you. Pavlov was on to something.
-BP
I've always wondered where obscure sports stats come from!
Post a Comment