The Job: Going in I thought I was just going to be listed as a 'Memphis Redbirds Intern', but instead I actually have a legitimate title and will soon get business cards (I think). My title is: Communications Assistant. The Redbirds are a Triple-A baseball organization who are a farm team for the St. Louis Cardinals. The team is not-for-profit organization, the first at the Triple-A level. Every year the Redbirds' office brings in a new class of 'interns' who basically help run the park for the season. Though it is not mentioned in my title, I am one of the interns. The job lasts through the season, which is over in September. The internship is paid (not very much) and housing is provided (as I said before). The experience I will take away from this will be priceless.
The Intern Class of 2009: There are 15 of us and it's kind of a motley crew. You have been introduced to my roommate Mark, but the person I most closely work with is Ben. He is from Texas and is in graduate school at Texas Tech. There are four girls versus 11 guys, from all over. Texas, Detroit, Minnesota, Illinois, Maryland, Ohio, Memphis, South Carolina and Nashville Tennessee. That last one is me. We all have different accents and personalities and we are all have different responsibilities for the Redbirds. We would make a great cast for an inspirational kids' movie, where despite all of our differences and inexperience we successfully reach impossible heights. The Mighty Ducks meet the Outsiders. Get your tickets now.
The Office:
AutoZone Park is a family friendly ballpark located in downtown Memphis, right across the street from the world-famous Rendezvous BBQ. The picture above is the main entrance. The park is on the right and our office building is on the left. Most of the interns work on the left, but Ben and I have the luxury of working in the park.I have zoomed in to the computers to show you the windows I have on my left. Also you can see my computer bag (bought at a thrift store for $3).
Now for the really important stuff. For everyone who is really super excited about this and also enjoys gifts of Junior Mints, Hot Tamales (the candy), Samoas & Thin Mints...
Send care packages to:
175 Toyota Plaza, Suite #300
Memphis TN 38103
175 Toyota Plaza, Suite #300
Memphis TN 38103
Next Week: Next time I will tell you exactly what I do and explain my explorations of this fine city. What I have found may surprise you.

4 comments:
W, looks like you have settled right in. love the view from your office. i am happy for the experience you will have this season- writing and sports- what could be better! let me know how how good the hot dogs are, since you are the ultimate hot dog connoisseur ps. we have got to talk about your favorite movies listed in your profile. fargo????!!!!! the worst movie i have ever seen. pss. yes i called alex r to find out how to spell connoisseur-i did look in my handy dictionary to no avail--the second n threw me off.
Hi Alex,
First, because I'm your Mom, I have to say...I love you! Secondly, I wish my office had a window I could open! Watch for a care package to arrive before Friday. Love you,Mom
Hi Alex,
This is the first time I have had a chance to check out your Blog. We are very proud of you and will enjoy keeping up with WHAT YOU ARE DOING!!!!!! Smile
Love you,
Diane and Chip
HEY HEY! I'm glad I got to talk to you yesterday. That's an amazing view from your window! I'm so happy that you've been blessed with this experience; you deserve it. I can't wait to read more about what you do. I miss you very much!
-C
Post a Comment